Good news for motorists, The traffic police will not be allowed to harass anyone by stopping unnecessarily, they are also not allowed to check your vehicle unnecessarily.
Director General of Police, Praveen Sood has reiterate again to the traffic department. No vehicle SHALL BE STOPPED merely for checking documents unless it has committed a traffic violation visible to the naked eye.
However, he said that documents would be checked and subsequently challan will be issued in case any driver is found to have committed a traffic violation.
Last time a similar instructions were given to the department by DGP of Karnataka, but it was rarely followed.
- Advertisement -
Rights Of A Commuter In India:
There are a lot of misconceptions about the power of traffic policemen. The myths surrounding the rights of commuters are also in plenty. Here are some of the rights a commuter should be aware of:
- The traffic policeman cannot seize your driving license unless you have broken the rules. Jumping the red light at a traffic signal, driving under the influence of alcohol, overloading the vehicle, and using a mobile phone while driving are some of the common traffic offences seen in India.
- If you have committed a traffic offence, you should be able to furnish your valid driving license, pollution under control (PUC) certificate, and car insurance papers upon being asked to do so.
- A policeman will be in uniform with his/her name and buckle number clearly displayed. Ensure you are showing your papers to a uniformed officer only.
- The police will not tow your car unless you vacate it.
- In case you are a female and have been stopped by the police after 6 p.m., you can request for a female cop to physically search you.
- The traffic police will not force you out of the vehicle or take away your car keys.
- The traffic police should have an e-challan machine or a challan book to fine you. The cop is not allowed to impose a fine without this.
- In case you have violated the law and have been arrested, you will be taken to the police station. If you are detained, you can be brought to court within 24 hours.
- The traffic police has absolute authority on the road. You should follow his/her instructions promptly.