South Western Railway General Manager Sanjeev Kishore addressed the press at Rail Soudha, Hubballi on Thursday and highlighted some of the major achievements of SWR during Jan-Dec, 2022. To enumerate
- Highest ever electrification: 712 route km in one year
- Punctuality 94%: SWR is the 3rd most punctual zone among all zones of Indian Railways
- Mobility improvement: best among all zones – average speed of goods trains increased by 58% over 2021
- Highest ever automobile loading – 405 rakes – an increase of 70% over last year
- Highest ever originating gross revenue: Rs. 7509 crores
- Highest ever passenger revenue: Rs. 2534 crores
- SWR stands 2nd among all zones in Key Performance Indices (a complex system of measurement of the performance of zonal railways that depends on several factors.)
Further he stated that immense thrust is given to develop high quality railway infrastructure. In the period of Jan-Dec, 2022, 22 km new line and 210 km doubling has been completed. In the present year (2023) Doubling of Londa-Miraj section, and Hubballi-Chikjajur are targeted to be completed by Feb and March, 2023 respectively. This would mean that the entire railway section from Miraj to Bengaluru would be double-line.
The General Manager stated that, Proposed Bengaluru-Dharwad Vande Bharat Express can be extended upto Belagavi also, as doubling and electrification of the stretch till Belagavi would also be completed soon.
Shri Kishore mentioned that work in new line is progress in full swing. In 2023, Sangnal- Kushtagi (34 km) section of Gadag-Wadi project, Karatagi-Sindhanur(18 km)section of Ginigera- Raichur New Line project are targeted to be completed in 2023. Work is in progress Khajjidoni- Lokapur (9 km) section of Bagalkot-Kudachi new line project. Further EPC tender has already being floated the Lokapur-Yadavad section. The first phase (20 km) of Tumakuru-Devangere project has already commenced.
- Advertisement -
The General Manager also stated that for the convenience of passengers, 252 special trains had been run and 244 coaches augmented permanently and 221 coaches augmented temporarily during holidays and festivals, based on passenger demands in 2021. He said that special trains are being run between Benglauru to Hubballi with stoppage to Haveri for the convenience of those attending the 86 Akhil Bharatiya Kannada Sahitya Sammelan. Seven long distance express trains have been given additional stoppages at Haveri for the same.
Lastly, in 2021, the speed potential of tracks was raised to 110 kmph over 808 km and 91 trains were speeded up. The parcel revenue in 2022 stood at 106.4 crores which is 18% higher than in 2021.