Belagavi must think on implementing Metro-Neo, the eco-friendly electric bus system to reduce the traffic in the city.
Metro neo is an innovative cost-effective Urban Transport Solution for Tier – II and Tier – III Indian cities. The metro-neo trolley system with overheaded electric traction can run on a elevated roads.
This low-cost urban rail transit system aimed at cities with population of less than 10 lakh or suburbs of bigger cities.
The Metro Neo costs about 25 per cent of conventional systems but with similar facilities, and is cheaper than the other budget option Metrolite, which costs about 40 per cent of the normal Metro.
- Advertisement -
Two Corridors : In Belagavi, two corridors can be planned 1. KLE Hospital at Nehru Nagar to VTU University in Machhe via Rani Chennamma Circle (14 Km stretch) and 2. Kanabargi to Rani Chennamma Circle via CBT (7 km stretch).
Space ? At Elevated section 2.2 metres road space will be occupied at the medians (dividers) on elevated section. 8 metres width of viaduct. 5.5 metres clearance between road traffic and viaduct. So existing roads in Belagavi are sufficient for implementing Metro Neo at Corridor 1 initially.
Why Metro Neo ?
- Heavy Metro rail is economical for PHPDT greater than 15,000
- Bus transit system cater upto 5,000 PHPDT which is insufficient
- Rail based LRT, tram system address traffic requirement upto 15,000 PHPDT.
- Peculiar requirement of Indian cities require an innovative and cost effective solution
- Metro-Neo is India centric solution for tier 2/3 cities for 8,000 PHPDT and extendable upto 10,000
- MoHUA has issued standard specifications in Nov 2020 for rubber tyred metro coaches running on OHE named Metro neo for use in tier 2/3 Indian cities
Features of Metro Neo
- Dedicated RoW atgrade/elevated
- Tyred electric coaches on concrete slab
- ATP Signalling with anti collision features
- Length of coaches 18m or 24m
- Can run on battery upto 20KM
- Cost reduction, No AFC, No PSD, small stations
- Depot away from alignment
- Safety & comfort at par with metro
Below standards ensure the quality, safety, punctuality and comfort levels at par with
BROAD METRO NEO SPECIFICATIONS
- Dedicated RoW of 8m
- Platform width of 1.12m, emergency side evacuation
- Low floor rolling stock around 10T axle load
- Caters PHPDT 8,000 and extendable upto PHPDT 10,000
- Upto 250 pax capacity for 24m coach and 200pax for 18m coach at AW3 loading
- 750VDC OHE twin wire electrification. Coaches can run on battery where OHE is not feasible.
- ATP signalling with anti collision features and central control, CCTV surveillance in stations
Civil Structure: Elevated Metro neo System
- Elevated alignment shall be decided after a thorough study and considering various factors eg; availability of Right of Way, speed, conflict with road traffic, safety and cost.
- Road space occupied at the median shall be maximum 2.2 m for piers including crash barrier.
- Edge to edge width of viaduct shall be 8 meter maximum. A vertical clearance of minimum 5.5 meter as per road specification for road vehicle under the viaduct shall be provided. Viaduct shall be the safe place in case of any emergency.
- Platform width shall be of minimum 1.12 meter for side platform and shall be of minimum 4 meter for island platform.
- Metroneo platform roof can be optimized to 1/3rd of platform length instead of providing roof in the entire platform length.
- Elevated Metroneo platform shall be simple, open and for serving the functional requirement of exchange of passenger between platform and vehicle. Bare minimum facilities eg; Lighting, CCTV, Public information system etc shall be provided on the platform.
- Ticket Validators, if planned at stations, shall be provided at Platform. Ticketing equipment eg; Automatic Ticket Vending Machine, Add Value Machine etc shall be provided under/near the staircase. AFC gates, Platform screen doors, X-ray baggage scanner and DFMD are not needed at the Metroneo stations.
- The entry/exit to the platform shall be directly through staircase from ground level. The concourse shall not be provided.
- Lifts for disabled/old shall be provided. Provisions of escalators in the stations shall be generally avoided. Escalators shall only be provided at such stations where there is absolute necessity
- Foot-over-bridge (FOB) or underpass shall be generally avoided except at some stations under exceptional scenario. For crossing the city roads under the elevated platform, properly designed pedestrian crossing with traffic calming measures & signage/signal shall be provided mandatorily.
- Accessibility to Metroneo station shall be made free flowing, convenient and safe by implementation of accessibility plan for the area around the station. Accessibility plan shall include improvement area around the stations, properly designed pedestrian crossing with mandatory traffic calming measures & signage/signal, improvement in footpaths last mile connectivity etc. The accessibility plan should not lead to bigger stations. The space below/near the staircases can be used for locating ATM/AVM, facilities for staff/passenger etc.
- Necessary arrangement may be provided for preventing the access to platform during the non revenue hours.
Automatic Fare Collection (AFC)
- 2.8.1 Ticketing system shall be based on National Common Mobility Card (NCMC), QR code and any other innovative ticketing system. Metroneo stations shall generally be unattended and Automatic Ticket Vending Machine (TVM), Add Value Machine (AVM) etc. shall be provided at the stations.
- No AFC gates shall be installed at Metroneo stations. The ticket validator shall be installed in the Metroneo Coaches or on the platforms.
- With random checking, heavy penalty shall be levied on the passengers without avalid ticket in the system.
Maintenance Depot, Operation Control Centre and Others
- The maintenance and stabling or more facilities for coaches can be done in one depot depending on the site requirement. Additional depot can be planned for stabling purposes and cleaning facilities only.
- As Metroneo rolling stock are hybrid with battery, in depot minimum OHE (for the requirement of testing of rolling stock etc. ) shall be implemented.
- Integrated operation control centre (OCC) shall be provided and OCC shall be simple with bare minimum facilities.
- X-ray baggage scanner and DFMD are not needed in the Metroneo stations.
- CCTV surveillance system shall be deployed at stations as well as in Metroneo
- Rolling Stocks
Maha Metro implementing Metro Neo project in Nashik and Warangal,
Cost aspects of Metro neo (Nashik DPR @ 2019 level) compared to Nagpur Metro actual costs :
Metro Neo costs Rs.71Cr/KM (Nashik MetroNeo DPR @ 2019 level), Metrolite costs
Rs.140Cr/KM (Thane Metrolite DPR @ 2019 level) whereas heavy metro costs Rs. 222 Cr/KM
(As per Nagpur Metro actual costs) :